Roll-on/roll-off cargo is a type of vessel that is characterised by the transport of goods on wheels, such as vehicles, trucks, trains, etc. These are loaded and unloaded by means of ramps or traction vehicles, and have the great advantage that their handling cost is much more economical and independent of the port facilities and means of work.
This Vehicle Transport usually has no berthing problems, having enough space it can place its ramp anywhere on the quay, thanks to its angular range of movement which is close to 90 degrees.
The Maritime Transport of Ro-Ro Cargo.
Roll-on/roll-off cargo is cargo that is made up of units that set up an engine, or that have to be moved by tractors due to their heavy weight. This type of load can be divided in two parts that would be;
- The first one would be constituted by vehicles that transport goods, and that at the same time are loaded on ships.
- And the second one by the vehicles that are transported from their places of manufacture and direct assembly to the areas of commerce and consumption.
Within the Maritime Cargo Transport regulations, there are codes prescribed by the international maritime organisation that establish rules concerning the generalities of stowage and unstowage. These stowage and securing generalities are the ones that explicitly apply the properties in which the transport of goods must be carried out.
An International Ocean Freight Carrier is designed taking into account the characteristics of the type of cargoes to be transported. These ships for ro-ro cargoes are made with a different technology to other ships, to avoid a series of worrying elements from the point of view of the security of our cargo, for example the movement of the vehicles on the deck, which could damage the balance of the ship or the entrance of water in large quantities, etc.
Some of the types of ships are:
- Ferries, which take advantage of all the space available and have an immense cargo capacity. Their planning allows the automation of loading and unloading operations.
- Car-Carrier, they are special for those dedicated to the transport of cars, motorbikes or other types of roll-on/roll-off cargo.
- RO-RO, these transport the product on vehicles, railway wagons or lorry loads, in bulk or in bulk. They are created by closed covers and are also ideal for the transport of vehicles, trucks, etc. Allowing them to enter horizontally and be unloaded upside down.